View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #1186
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
1. When can you make a consistent time to work out that will always be yours? How much time do you have? How much do you want to push yourself?

Time is inconsistent. Today I have the whole day, but some days it's either the morning or night. Sometimes my workday is so long all I want to do is shut down for the day. Inertia is my enemy. I sit a lot, and whittle away my time on other things. I want to push myself but I fear going off too fast then burning out.

Quote:
2. What do you like to do to work out? Do you have any injuries that preclude you from doing certain types of workouts? You mentioned Karate...when/how do you do that? What workout equipment do you already own?

Historically I have played sports but that has gone away. My best results were playing indoor soccer. My schedule doesn't allow for any sort of regular day off or anything of the sort. I can't commit to anything scheduled. I used to swim, but hotel pools are usually too small or too crowded to be much use. I have tried TaeBo and kickboxing, which I like, but haven't stuck with. I have enjoyed some Pilates and Yoga, but again don't stick with it. My biggest problem seems to be my knees. More pain now, but I have never been really good at lunges, deep knee bends or squats. I try and make Karate about once a week (we have it twice, but it's more for me to support my son than anything). I sweat pretty good and really enjoy it. My workout equipment...hmm. Sometimes I have access to some really awesome workout rooms, other times nothing worth using. At home, we have a very good treadmill that I use occasionally, a reasonable workout space and I also have a heavy bag that I use to work on kicks, punches and combos. I like ellipticals and treadmills. I worry about running, but know that I should be able to do it. I have a couple of dumbbells but no bench. In the past I have done situps and pushups, and I know that my core could get some better work.

Quote:
3. What simple and specific dietary changes can you make right now that can help you? Can you give up sodas? Starbucks lattes? Whole grains instead of anything that starts with enriched white flour? Veggies and fruits instead of Little Debbie Snack cakes?

I started packing food for some trips and that seems to help. My biggest problem is eating chips and peanuts every day. I drink a couple diet sodas each day, especially when I am working. I almost never drink fully sugared drinks. I don't drink coffee. I know that the snacking should get cut out and the water intake increased. I can be smarter about my food choices and certainly go for more salads and grilled chicken.

Quote:
4. What factors do you think will get in your way of achieving your goals in weight loss and/or fitness? Time? A household enabler who keeps buying those Little Debbie Snack Cakes? Business travel?

When I work out, inevitably I end up asking myself why I am doing this? My wife and I have already talked about cutting the sweets in the house, but she loves to bake and almost always have homemade cookies around. Convenience seems to be my biggest enemy. That and money. Why pay 9 bucks for a small salad at the airport when I can get 2 hamburgers from mcd's for 3 bucks? Primarily why I started packing some food. I have been packing tuna salad, and noodle bowls. Mostly stuff that's alright if it isn't refrigerated all the time because you just never know when fridge will be available. Also, I worry that the food gets repetitive. Like I said, I am not a big fan of many fruits or veggies. So things can get overdone.

Quote:
5. What do you do right now that works that you can build upon?

I don't know honestly. My confidence in my ability to make the change isn't really high. I have been able to drop weight in the past, but I seem to have a really self defeating attitude about it right now. It's just getting over this initial inertia and changing my eating habits that needs to change right now. If I could get into a regular routine I could make it, but getting started and having a plan of action seems to be almost overwhelming.

Thanks for the advice. I really lack support outside my immediate family. I know this is a great place to get going. I am certainly willing to be open and honest about everything.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote