View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #935
Radii
Head Coach

-- Matthew Khan resumes full training.

-- A few last minute offers come in for some of our players. Stoke bid $1.2M for Darren Johnson, which we reject. I'm really happy with him as a role player for us. Inter in Serie A try their damnedest to tempt us. They offer us $16 Million for Steven Mills. But we can't seriously consider taking it. Mills is *really* good, Mills and Donnelly are a strong, strong midfield for us. Mills is only 23, and I'm not even 100% confident I could spend $16 Million and get better than him.

-- Steven Mills is unhappy that I don't allow him to discuss contract details with Inter.

New Signing

We pick up a backup on a free transfer, welcome 25 y/o DRC/MRC Andy Parsons to Ipswich. This is a deep depth move triggered by the Clive Jackson/McKerr injuries. I'm used to having one of my DC's able to slide over and cover in spots like this. Parsons isn't great by any stretch. He'll just make $5,250/wk and comes in with a value of $975,000.

Physical: Pace 12/Accel 10. Strength 15/Jumping 14.
Mental: Determination 12/Decisions 12/Teamwork 11/Work Rate 14/Compsoure 14. Most other ratings are poor in the 7-9 range.
Technical: Marking 9/Tackling 11/Heading 12/Passing 11/Technique 10.

Really he's not great but he can play a lot of positions if we have a desperate need to fill. I kinda feel like putting a "not quite good enough" DR in but being able to stay in a formation we're comfortable in is a better option than this 3-something-2. Even bigger than missing out on a formation we're comfortable with is that 3 DC's keeps Stuart Kirkland off the field. Kirkland won't be winning 3 of 12 headers...

January 31st, 2021

Tottenham(10-6-9, 9th) @ Ipswich(10-8-7, 8th)

Tottenham are big favorites today, 4:6 at Portman Road. We're 7:2 to get a win. We pulled off a 1:1 draw at their place. We're 0-1-4 lifetime against him.

GK: Capitani
D: Kirkland/Welsh/Quartey/Parsons
M: Hughes/Donnelly/Mills/Gordon
F: Negredo/Constantino

Tottenham's Jan Molnar has 11 goals in league play, tied for 5th in the EPL right now. I bring Parsons in right away to get back to the 4-4-2 that we're doing so well in and hope that doesn't end up being an awful mistake. Quartey is back in after coming off his latest short injury. Hughes at ML, Negredo up front. Khan is available off the bench today.

7': Not a good start, they get a couple crosses into the area that are headed out but we can't get hte ball out of there... finally a through ball comes in for their star Molnar, he gets behind Welsh and scores easily on a clear cut chance. 0-1

11': We send a long ball forward after winning a ball in defense... there's a header into the area and Constantino gets behind the defense, he has a pretty tough shot from an angle out to the right, and sends it wide. Poor defending to let him even get the ball though.

26': We build up down the right side, Gordon hits Constantino in the area, again its a bit out to the right and not a clear cut chance but he has a nice look... and hits the left post. There's a rebound for Negredo but he sends it right to the keeper.

33': They get a clear cut chance as Parsons is out of position and lets his man get into the area and attack from the left... but their attacker comes in way too close to the goal and Capitani has the goal almost entirely cut off and makes a save.

HALF: Not a lot of action the rest of the way but its been a highlight filled half given that I only have key highlights on now! We end up shooting 9 times but only putting 2 on target. They shoot 8 times, 3 on target. We are getting a lot of long balls ahead to Constantino but he hasn't quite found an easy look, they're forcing him just out wide for weird angles or winning tackles in key spots.

47': Constantino has it 25 yards out, he spots Hughes coming in from the left and hits him with a nice pass, Hughes has our first clear cut chance, but shoots right at the keeper, no luck.

50': We have a corner, taken in to Hughes.. he passes to NEgredo who is up at the edge of the box, a shot goes in... off the right post.

62': Constantino is hurt... we hold our breath and wait til the end to see.

75': They attack down the middle, a ball ahead towards the 6 yard box for ST Schaap. Capitani comes out to try to get the ball but its by him and its an easy goal. Capitani takes the hit for that one for coming off his line by mistake to try to go after that pass. 0-2

77': Johnson in for Gordon, Khan in for Constantino, Mariga in for Mills.

87': Gordon Donnelly comes down with an injury.

Ipswich 0 : 2 Tottenham

No one really plays well today, Capitani puts up a 5.8 rating for his mistake in allowing their second goal.

Injury Update

The injury gods smile upon us today. Donnelly is out for 1 week and Constantino has no long term issues.

That was a pretty tough loss for us. We've played 26 matches now, if we could have won there we'd be 1 point out of 7th place with 12 to go. 4 points out feels a lot worse, but hey we're still putting up a tough fight.

1. Arsenal - 63 pts
2. Man Utd - 54 pts
3. Chelsea - 51 pts
4. Birmingham - 48 pts
5. Aston Villa - 46 pts
6. West Ham - 43 pts
7. Man City - 42 pts
8. Tottenham - 39 pts
9. Ipswich - 38 pts
10. Newcastle - 36 pts
11. Sunderland - 34 pts
12. Sheffield Utd - 33 pts
13. Liverpool - 32 pts
14. Everton - 32 pts
15. Huddersfield - 27 pts
16. Nottingham Forest - 26 pts
17. Blackburn - 25 pts
-------------------------------
18. West Brom - 15 pts
19. Wolves - 13 pts
20. Bristol City - 10 pts

A small losing streak could easily drop us down to 13th or 14th, a few big wins and we could still compete for that coveted 7th spot.

Last edited by Radii : 09-20-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote