View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
SportsDino
College Prospect

I am very much looking forward to this game, had it on preorder since about March.

I'd generally suggest the PC if you have a beast of a machine, Oblivion for Xbox plays so damn poorly in terms of visuals (I am playing through vanilla Oblivion again on Xbox). Hopefully they don't severely gimp the gameplay like they did in Oblivion, so the PC is a safer bet for overall experience because it will be modded by the community if it has too much wrong with it.

That said, I'll be getting it on Xbox (because my gaming machine is broke and I'm too lazy to build/buy one when I already have 4+ other computers).

As for engines, building them is horribly expensive, except for premier games you usually see them being reused. Also highly successful portions of engines (like Havok physics) are often reused even within these 'new' engines.

I think there is a market for the episodic game series that doesn't reveal massive engine upgrades each time but keeps pushing the gameplay/content experience, but the industry in general does not agree, and look no further than the Fallout 3 vs Fallout New Vegas comparisons. From the get go it was put out there as basically an episode like release, a full game's worth of content and more gameplay modifications than the usual expansion pack, but no new engine. Generally it had trouble with people saying it was not different enough from Fallout in every single review.

Most reviewers at least put in 'why break something that was completely awesome in Fallout 3', but it certainly set a negative mood for what I think is one of the best game releases recently (Fallout 3 engine with slightly better gameplay and story).

Of course I hope they follow this model again, we basically got two full Fallout gameplay experiences within a small time period, where as the wait for the inevitable Fallout 4 is no doubt going to be measured in years from this point (I'd guess at least 2). In terms of fun I think that is the best maximization of development effort, but in terms of fanboys silly expectations all of the market noise pushes developers towards constantly reinventing pixel shaders on football players shadows instead of keeping the graphics engine and fixing gameplay or content issues.

I know if I ever get this indie developer thing off the ground that I'll be reusing my engine constantly to try and deliver more games out there. But I'm in the special situation of being unable to compete on graphics engine in the first place, for me I need to focus on content/gameplay or else I will not release until 2020.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote