View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #389
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I also hate this on local news-

When doing a story about a fire, shooting, etc, that occurred 12 hours earlier, they have someone "live at the scene". Why? The story is over...now you are just standing on a street corner where someone was allegedly shot 12 hours ago. Why do you need to be on location? Is it more believeable coming from them on the street than from the desk reporter?
I don't know what it is, but I find local news unbearable now. I'm not sure if something has changed in the past 10 years or what, but it's gotten ridiculous. I did an internship at a local news station in New Orleans back in 2000, and if that station's news coverage had been anything like what I see on TV today, I wouldn't have even bothered finishing the internship.

What you described is just one example of how terrible I feel it is. I mean, I see local stations teasing stories like "A CHILD GETS A SPECIAL DOG! TUNE IN AT ELEVEN!" Say what? Maybe my training was bad, but I thought you were supposed to tease actual news. If you're going to tease a feature, at least make it something that affects the whole community. Why am I going to watch the 11:00 news to see someone else's dog? Maybe the dog knows the secret to purifying the county's water supply, and that's great, but you need to tell us that in the tease.

I used to like local news. I used to respect local news. I think it's pathetic now. I'm a grumpy old man.