View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 02:43 AM   #6
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Well, we ended up playing 4 games with 9 people. It was supposed to be 14, which would have been perfect...but three people got sick and one couple never showed. Went with 2 wolves and a seer, and added some extra roles each game.

Game 1 saw the wolves win even though the villagers lynched a wolf on day one - our second wolf did a great job staying under the radar and letting the villagers snipe at one another the whole way through. I don't think he was even voted for a single time the entire game. The seer viewed a pair of villagers and was lynched on day 3. Overall, the game was ok, but people were still trying to figure things out and several of the participants were quiet a lot.

Game 2 I introduced the Mayor role. Wolves got off to a much better start, lynching a villager on day one and killing another that night. Our star wolf from game one managed to be the seer in this game, and had the odd strategy of announcing it immediately in day one. Compounding this strange strategy, a different player (who was a vanilla villager) claimed the seer was lying and was clearly a wolf because HE was in fact the seer (even though he wasn't). The seer launched a counter-offensive, leading the bandwagon onto the second supposed seer, and he was lynched day 1. For whatever reason, perhaps because of the craziness of the day and how the initial seer reveal probably didn't look so good since he led the bandwagon on another villager, the wolves killed someone else. During the night phase, one of the wolves managed to brush up against a villager inadvertently and was outed quickly because of it. To compound matters, the seer ended up picking the second wolf as his viewing that evening, cleaning up a very strange game in a hurry for a villager win.

For game 3, I added in the bodyguard. On day one a bandwagon disguised as a freight train hit one of our quiet players, and with a 7-2 margin he was the lynch target. As the Mayor, his hand was forced early and he picked someone else (who happened to be a villager). Day two, the villagers again displayed an uncanny ability to find a wolf to lynch with next to no evidence, and even though the seer went down early, the villagers cleaned up the field neatly for another win.

For game 4, someone else volunteered to run the game so I could get involved. Because there wasn't as much discussion in the first three games as I had hoped/expected, I kicked things off by talking a lot. I had to weasel my way out of trouble on day one to avoid the bandwagon (we lynched a villager), then on day 2 out of nowhere the mayor stepped in with nothing but a hunch and changed the vote from a werewolf (unbeknownst at the time) to me (villager). Though it got real dicey at the end, the villagers pulled it off.

We had a ton of fun, but 9 is a really hard number to balance for. 1 wolf seemed to be far too difficult for the wolf, but 2 seemed to be a little too much wolf (despite a 3:1 villager win ratio). I also wish that the group was a little more talkative - there was very little arguing/discussing, even from people who were leading the vote and about to be killed. They just sort of took it in stride. We also had a guy who would routinely vote for himself (as a vanilla villager), which was just...odd. He claimed he did want to play the game, but his "strategy" was strange. Looking forward to doing it again, hopefully with a few more people.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote