View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #31
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
There are, of course, things that I would change. But I think that, considering the scorched earth policies of the GOP, he has managed to get a lot done.

DADT has ended. We don't torture as an official policy anymore. Health Care Reform was not perfect, but anything to get us closer to a sane system is good. Great Depression II was diverted into a Great Recession. Osama is dead and Al Queda is on the ropes.

As shitty as things are, things could still be worse.

The bolded part is the key for me.

The thing is, the Republicans' scorched earth policies/insanity (take your pick) haven't been about, necessarily, policy disagreement (although there's some of that). It's been about specifically "defeating Obama." That's pretty much the prism through which you can view the Republicans' decisions in the last two years.

Whether or not those decisions have also fit the party platform has been fairly well irrelevant (as you can see with the Libya thing; odd how extended foreign adventures without a formal declaration of war wasn't an issue for the eight years before he took office, huh?).
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote