View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 12:50 PM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

Good response, KWhit... well thought out.

However, at the same time that you are defending how much skill it takes to be an actor, you're simultaneously talking about how many legions of people are doing this kind of work and it's so competitive. In a sense, that buttresses my argument (that these skills aren't really special) as much as yours.

And I would also like to try to clarify - and separate out the matter of "requiring hard work" and "requiring rare skill." (And I recognize that my thread title is ambiguous as to which of these I'm venturing) I'm not necessarily suggesting that being a professional actor is easy - just that it doesn't seem to require such a set of rare skills that are completely different than those most of us have. I don't know if I'd ever be able to perfect an acceptable Polish accent, nor whether I'd be able to suffer the hours it takes for production of a serious effort... but I'd hazard a guess that I (or others like me) might have the requisite skills to do so, were I able to commit the needed work. I can't think of any other high-profile career where I can say that with any confidence.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-13-2003 at 12:52 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote