View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 02:07 PM   #15
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I like KWhit's agruement a lot and back him up. I think the arguement " just that it doesn't seem to require such a set of rare skills that are completely different than those most of us have." can be said about a million jobs in my opinion (though obviously not "high profile") but doesn't mean anyone can do it. What special skills do i have as a truck driver? None that can't be learned by most people in a matter of weeks, but in my opinion most the people on here could not stick it out for an extended period of time (multiple years) because the lifestyle is one that just isn't suited to most people.....just like i couldn't do the job of the people making the products i hual away from the factories, i don't have what it takes to work a line job in a plant. It may not be that hard of a job, but it drives me nuts for some reason, i have tried several times.

What i'm getting at is that for a lot of jobs/careers, it doesn't take JUST skills....you have to have a certain personality and characteristics to go along with those skills. To equate this to the word of sports/acting, take the example of highly rated college football players who though could go high in the draft, decide that that lifestyle just isn't for them and bow out. Its not all that common because the draw of money is so great, but it does happen. Also, to draw a parallel to what KWhit is talking about with the "good" actors....we all know about those guys in athletics that just have that something special, those "intangibles" as they are so often called......the perfect example is Jeff George....all the talent in the world, but just didn't have what it took to be a Montana,Elway, or someone of that calibur.

Hope i made sense, i know i can ramble..........