View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #1206
Radii
Head Coach

-- After finishing 1 point behind Man Utd for the final spot in the Champions League at the end of last season, we host Man Utd on opening day this year. With stadium expansion we'll set attendance records again this year, and a full sellout of 40,000 is expected for opening day.

-- Mills resumes full training and looks to be set for the opener.

August 19th, 2023

Man Utd @ Ipswich

Man Utd had a new manager take over towards the tail end of last season, I missed that completely. Claude Peul ran Olympique Lyonnais for the full duration of this dynasty, leading them to a status as one of the top 10 clubs in Europe for awhile, and now he takes over Man Utd.

Man U are 6:4 favorites today, we're 13:8 to get a win, quite even! We are 3-4-6 lifetime against Man Utd, but have not lost to them the last 5 times we met. 4 of those were last year, we tied on the road in league play and tied on the road in the FA Cup. We won at home in league play and in the FA Cup Replay.

GK: Capitani
D: Kirkland/Mattle/Bartlett/Heywood
M: Crespo/Donnelly/Mills/Gordon
F: Bryan/Constantino

Bartlett in defense ends up being the only new player starting today, and only because I don't trust Mark O'Brien more than an unknown to replace Aldrovandi. Man Utd change their look, 4-1-2-2-1 with a DMC and two AM's out wide. They'd run a 4-2-3-1 for a good long time before this.

22': van Schindel, new midfielder for them, yellow card.

30': Heywood a cross, Constantino a header, over the bar. That's the first shot I've seen in a highlight today.

39': They get a dangerous shot from ST Wray after a counter attack, but Bartlett runs him out wide a little and Capitani makes a nice stop.

48': Gordon with a foul just outside the left edge of the penalty box. Too tight an angle to shoot from I think, we head a cross out and its halftime.

HALF: We shoot 7 times, they shoot 6 times, both teams put 2 on target. 4 of ours were from long range and midway through the half I gave the "work ball into box" instruction to try to find better. Possession is even, both teams are passing well, we are tackling really well (84%), and they're winning more headers.

46': We kick off, Mills and Donnelly pass to each other a couple times, Donnelly ahead to Bryan, their DC comes waaaay out to defend Bryan, Constantino fills the opening, Bryan passes it ahead, Constantino is open in the penalty area and drills a shot into the net! 1-0

48': Donnelly turns it over in midfield as a highlight opens. AM Lalkovic gets a strong run into the area, their first clear cut chance... but its just wide.

52': Donnelly picks up his yellow card for the match.

60': Smith in for Mills, Darcy in for Bryan, subbing a couple guys that are tiring a bit faster that I want available for the Euro Cup.

65': Smith to Gordon, Gordon has our second clear cut chance behind the defense in the area... but his shot is saved. corner goes nowhere.

66': They win a header on our corner kick and still have it in their end, but Heywood attacks their man about 25 yards out (instead of getting back... HUGE RISK), he wins the ball, passes quickly to Constantino and everyone is caught off guard, that's a clear cut chance and a goal!! 2-0

73': new MR Hutchinson in for Gordon. We defend the rest of the way.

We kill off the rest of the match with ease!

Ipswich 2 : 0 Man Utd

A fantastic start to the season! their keeper saved a couple clear cut chances and put up a 9.1 rating, earning man of the match.

Goals: Constantino 2 (9.0)
Assists: Heywood (7.1), Bryan (7.3)
Notables: Kirkland (7.8), Bartlett (7.7), Donnelly (7.3)

Everyone played well today, Kirkland and Bartlett though, dominating in defense. Bartlett is a 24 y/o DC that I picked up for free from Rangers. He's the one I debated for awhile whether I would play him in midfield or back in defense. Darcy a 6.8 rating in his first ever senior club match off the bench.

-- We did indeed sell out the stadium today, 40,000 fans for a new record.

-- West Brom offer me $12.2M + 20% of the profit from his next sale for Jack Hughes. That starts to get tempting considering he's a backup/rotation guy, but if we sold him we'd have to use that money to immediately replace him so I'm not sure there's a lot of value in that. I sit on the offer, I may counter with $20M or something like that since the interest seems pretty high right now. But its already Aug 22nd at that point and I'd really need to replace him immediately.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote