View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #1210
Radii
Head Coach

-- We have 14 players called up to international duty (Euro Championship Qualifying). 11 of them are senior squad members, called up for matches on the 9th and 13th. We're scheduled to play on the 5th and 16th, and it doesn't look like either are getting postponed.

-- Neil Bartlett is named to the EPL team of the week. I really wish Aldrovandi didn't get injured, but its great that one of my new signings has been able to shine given the opportunity.

-- Wonder when the Euro Cup Groups are drawn, I'm excited to see my opposition! I keep checking every day, like checking the mailbox for my tax return or something.

September 2nd, 2023

Tottenham @ Ipswich

Tottenham are slim 6:4 favorites today, we're 13:8. That's been the case for all of our league matches so far. We've never beaten these guys, 0-3-7 lifetime. Last year we played to two scoreless draws. In fact, going back to the 20/21 season, we haven't scored a single goal against Tottenham in our last 5 matches, losing 2:0, 1:0 and 2:0 before these two 0:0 draws. Sheesh.

GK: Capitani
D: Kirkland/Mattle/Bartlett/Heywood
M: Crespo/Donnelly/Mills/Gordon
F: Darcy/Constantino

Some changes with Crespo and Donnelly in for Adagsmar/Clifford. Heywood starts at DR.

9': They have a man rush down the right, play a low cross drilled into the 6 yard box, a strong header, reflex save by Capitani and it goes wide, whew.

18': Defender Singh with a yellow for them.

22': We clear it out of their end, Crespo with a run down the left, a cross to the 6 yard box... someone heads it, gordon/darcy/constantino are all right there, and its just like their first shot... keeper makes a reflex save.

25': Free kick from 35 yards out for us, Neil Gordon takes it. He's aiming for the left post with his shot, the keeper clearly hedges that way, but his shot is not aimed well, its off the right side of the wall, kinda looks like it hit a guy in the head... and it just bounces straight... slowly... and rolls into the right side of the net as the keeper fails to recover after lunging the other way!!! 1-0 Our first goal against Tottenham in almost 500 minutes of in game action over 3 years, and that's how it happens, crazy.

HALF: We fly to the half pretty fast after that, watching a header off a corner go off target for us and that's it. We have 4 shots, 2 on target this half. They have 2 shots, both on target, and that's been it. 53/47 possession edge for us, 70% passing, 52% tackling (which is godawful) and 60% heading for us. They are tackling really well, in the highlights I saw they were trying lots of crosses into the area and Bartlett was winning headers everywhere... checks stats... he's only won 6 out of 12 headers but 3 key ones. We drop back from standard mindset to counterattacking at the half.

50': yellow for defender Brangman tackling Darcy out near midfield.

52': Darcy receives a pass 30 yards out, dodges a tackle, skips by a second defender and gets forward, shooting from 20 yards out... keeper just saves hiss shot and tips it wide.

58': Donnelly is in the game today, therefore he receives a yellow card.

77': Through ball into the area for them, ST Molnar is by Bartlett, but Bartlett recovers fast and makes a tackle as molnar gets to the ball. Bartlett is impressing the hell out of me, seriously.

78': Hutchinson in for Gordon, Clifford in for Mills.

84': We've got it on offense, passing around the left side, Crespo to Donnelly, he lays it off for Clifford. Clifford pulls up from 25 yards out and shoots... and surprises everyone, its into the upper left corner, no chance to stop it, great goal for Clifford!! 2-0

86': We needed that second goal. Molnar with a ball to Mangan, their two star strikers, Mangan has a step on Mattle and shoots from 10 yards out and scores. 2-1

87': Contain, dammit. I want to beat these guys, hang on to that lead, play safe, stall, whatever you have to do.

And we do just that, actually getting forward a bit in added time but just stalling mostly.

Ipswich 2 : 1 Tottenham

Our first win against Tottenham ever!

Man of the Match: Gordon Donnelly (7.6)
Goals: Gordon (7.5), Clifford (7.3)
Assists: Donnelly, one unassisted.
Notables: Heywood (7.1), Kirkland (7.2), Mills (7.0), Darcy (7.3)

Our DC's had 6.8s today, Constantino 6.5.

Arsenal and ????Southampton???? are off to 4-0-0 starts for 1st and 2nd. We're the only 3-0-0 team and we're in 3rd early on. Southampton have beaten Liverpool, Aston Villa and Man City. WTF. They beat Barcelona 2:0 in a friendly. They didn't spend a ton, looks like they have a couple younger players (22-24 y/o) who have really come into their own and are off to awesome starts.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote