View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #1227
Radii
Head Coach

-- I'm selling Mark O'Brien in January. This is the last straw. He just gives me too many games like that last one where he is under 6.0 at the half. Sometimes he recovers, sometimes not, sometimes I get fed up and just pull him. He's done for Ipswich.

-- The takeover of Ipswich has fallen through as the group trying to take over has failed to prove they have the funds required. The chairman talks to me personally and thanks me for my patience but warns me that I shouldn't rule out the chance that these guys invest in the club in the future. Our transfer embargo for now at least is lifted.

October 11th, 2023

Ipswich(5-1-1, 3rd) @ Cardiff(1-0-6, 20th)

We're 4:7 favorites over newly promoted Cardiff today. This is Cardiff's first trip up to England's top division since the early 1960s. They've been in the Championship since 2003. We hope to avoid overconfidence going into this one.

GK: Capitani
D: Heywood/Bartlett/Aldrovandi/Jackson
M: Adagsmar/Clifford/Jean/Hutchinson
F: Kershaw/Constantino

A number of guys have morale falling to "okay" after our recent run. Its been spread across 3 competitions (league cup/euro cup/EPL) but we are 0-1-3 in our last 4 matches. I mostly start players for morale today. Kershaw gets a start b/c Khan can't go and I've been overusing Darcy.

18': We counter after winning a ball in their end, a little slowly at first but Adagsmar makes a great long pass forward from midfield, Constantino gets behind the defense to receive it and blasts a powerful shot from 18 yards out past the keeper! 1-0

25': Just awful awful play in defense, tackle after tackle missed, overcommitting to go for aggressive tackles, two missed tackles in a row leaves their ST Johnson wide open in the area, clear cut chance and he finishes... 1-1

34': We'll attack.

35': Jackson sends a long ball down the right after a clearance from them, Consatntino is there and makes a run towards the right corner, he tries to play a cross for Kershaw, they have a man there, but he mishits the ball and it falls dead in the area a few feet away. Kershaw runs onto it and puts it in the net! Happy to see him get a goal here. 2-1

HALF: We have the lead but it feels like we just aren't playing our best. Only 5 shots, 2 on target for the 2 goals. They have more possession and they are winning 78% of their headers to just 38% for us. They have 2 shots only, but both were pretty scary and it seems like our defense is capable of lapses today. I bring Craig Smith in for a quickly tiring Jean.

47': There's another set of defensive lapses. We have it first but a poor cross gives them the ball... they get it to ST Phillips about 35 yards out, he begins a run towards the area and Aldrovandi badly misses a tackle, he continues his run... Bartlett badly misses a tackle... he's into the area and has a clear cut chance that he finishes. The defense was there. They just fucked up, miserably. 2-2

62': O'Brien in for Aldrovandi, oops, forgot to move another defender into my list of subs.

70': Capitani with a free kick from about 25 yards away from our goal. He plays it basically to the penalty spot.. their keeper comes out but stays back, not challenging for the ball. Constantino wins a header for it over a defender who was there as well, and its in! 3-2

77': They earn a corner, taken to the far post... and headed in. Jesus. 3-3

80': They have a throwin, thrown into the penalty area, they win it and take a shot, saved by Capitani but there's a rebound and one of their men is first to it... this is their FIFTH clear cut chance of the match, but Capitani bails us out with a great diving save.

82': There's a run down the right, a cross, they head it back out, Hutchinson is first to it, crosses it right back in... it hits a defender in the 6 yard box, deflects off him and into the goal, we're going to beat the worst team in the league on a damn own goal. 4-3

82': Donnelly in for Kershaw, 4-1-4-1, do not give up another goal.

We finally close it out after that.

Cardiff 3 : 4 Ipswich

Man of the Match: Constantino (8.8)
Goals: Constantino 2, Kershaw (6.9)
Assists: Capitani (7.5), Constantino, Hutchinson (6.9), Adagsmar (7.7)

Aldrovandi 6.3, Gordon 6.2 today. We get a win and hopefully that's all that matters here, but I'm not really happy at how it happened.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote