View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #1229
Radii
Head Coach

October 26rd, 2023

Euro Cup Group L

NEC Nijmegen (7th, Eredivisie) @ Ipswich (1st, EPL)

Eredivisie is the top dutch league, dominated by Feyenoord and Ajax. NEC isn't one of their top sides and we go into this one 4:6 favorites, NEC are 7:2. With a win here we'd be 2-0-1 at the midpoint of group play and would be in really strong shape.

GK: Capitani
D: Kirkland/Bartlett/Aldrovandi/Heywood
M: Crespo/Donnelly/Mills/Gordon
F: Khan/Constantino

They have a 21 y/o Brazilian ST Lailton who is scoring like crazy for them in league play and continental play so far, he's our main concern. I start what I believe to be my strongest possible lineup right now. Donnelly/Mills still feels like my most reliable midfield, I need to see more from Jean (and he does have that language barrier). He's available as a sub though. One good match with the senior team fixes Khan's morale and I'm happy to get him in here right away.

Standard mindset.

7': We have it deep in their end already, Mills a short pass to Gordon, a short pass to Donnelly, he's 20ish yards out, runs into the area, by one man, gets a clear cut chance and puts it by the keeper!! 1-0

10': Gordon a free kick from ~28 yards out, its a rocket, by the wall, but off the right post, so close!

18': We allow a corner, but head it away cleanly.

26': Yellow for Aldrovandi. One of their mids has a yellow too. Donnelly usually picks his up in the first 15 minutes of the second half, so be on the lookout for that.

36': We earn a corner, taken to the near post, they head it across the area but not strong enough to get it to safety... Aldrovandi is there on the other side of the 6 yard box, gets his head to it and drives it home!! 2-0

HALF: We are playing a fine match today and as long as we don't let up will take a commanding hold on 2nd in the group. we have 5 shots, 2 on target for the 2 goals. They haven't taken a shot yet.

53': Free kick 25 yards out, Gordon hits it into the wall, we recover and end up earning a corner. Gordon with the corner, but they head that out. We recover and keep pressing, they clear.

56': We get a second corner, taken again to the near post, Bartlett heads it... its off the defender on the line, bounces through to the other side of the 6 yard box, Aldrovandi is there and drills it into the net!!! 3-0

63': LOLZ. My timing was a little off, I said first 15 minutes of the second half. Its 18 minutes in when Donnelly gets a yellow card.

70': Jean in for Donnelly, Hughes in for Kirkland, Darcy in for Khan. We got this!

72': Right, 2 minutes after making my subs, an injury. Darcy goes down on a corner kick and must immediately leave the match. 4-4-1 the rest of the way.

We end it easily even a man down, almost scoring a couple times more and only allowing 1 shot all match.

Ipswich 3 : 0 NEC

Man of the Match: Carlos Aldrovandi (9.1)
Goals: Aldrovandi 2, Donnelly (7.9)
Assists: Gordon 2 (8.1)
Notables: Heywood (7.4), Kirkland (7.2), Bartlett (7.8), Crespo (7.1)

Great win!

-- We receive $201,000 for the victory.

Injury Update

ST Eoin Darcy is out 3 weeks with a pulled hamstring he suffered today.

-- Roma crushed AEK 4-0 as expected. That AEK/NEC draw a couple weeks ago was the best thing that could have happened to us, here's the table halfway through group play:

Roma - 3-0-0 - 12 for - 0 against - +12 - 9 pts
Ipswich - 2-0-1 - 5 for - 4 against - +1 - 6 pts
AEK - 0-1-2 - 0 for - 6 against - -6 - 1 point
NEC - 0-1-2 - 0 for - 7 against - -7 - 1 point

We play @ NEC, @ Roma, vs AEK. We still have to execute but we are heavy heavy favorites to advance out of the group along with Roma now.

@NEC on November 9th. If we win that and Roma beats AEK, we will mathematically clinch advancement.

Man Utd (who lost early in the Champions League) and Man City are both winning their groups easily.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote