View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #139
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
Again, I was simplifying things. TV contracts raise a more interesting point, but I could still see how they're connected. Although viewers draw in advertisers, the people deciding how much to pay for ads and the TV deal itself are by and large those in the top of the income distribution.
Sorry, you're losing me and imo weakening your point by trying to connect everything to it. We can make fun of TV execs for being bad at their jobs, but I think it's pretty obvious that with a few obvious niche shows like golf and Mad Men aside they're trying to appeal to "the 99%", and advertising people generate all kinds of hard data on whether it's working. Just because some of those people are rich, and some of the companies advertising are large doesn't mean they can't be reaching out to the broader audience. You might as well say that professional sports are for the 1% because (almost) all the players are making 500k+, or because they're owned by the super-rich.

I think we can agree that CEO/executive pay is out of control. Trying to blame it for everything those people touch obscures and weakens that point.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote