View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #122
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
i wish i could score on some corners, but im getting raped by cornerkicks

Right some basic attacking corner tactics -

Pick a style and stick to it, mine is front post domination at the moment - my two best people are on the front post; one for flick ons and one for running in ... aim for that post and have one other chap with decent aggression annoy the goalkeeper (he doesn't need to be over-tall or physical but it'll help if he is ... his job is basically to get in the way) and everyone else doing other things as seems sensible.
This gets me a few goals each season - come the end of the season the two people involved have probably got 6-8 goals from corners, which while it might not sound like a lot can easily give your team a LOT of points over the course of a season.
ALWAYS keep at least two players back when you take a corner or you'll find yourself potentially hit on the break.

Defending Corners -

Conversely for defending corners you need to be flexible as you don't know what they're going to try, first thing is shift any short-arse players out of the box or tell them to mark short men (rule of thumb for me, if you're short and an attacker then you stay up front or lurk outside the box, if you're a defensive player you mark short-arses). Generally I put any medium height wide wide players on the posts (5'10-5'11) and everyone else does zonal marking ... but thats my general preference.
This isn't infallible at all - but should keep your defense reasonably tight and obviously you can 'tweak' this according to your team.
One other thing - always consider keeping your wide midfielders 'forward' for corners presuming they're fast/good dribblers - it'll help you break should you manage to get posession quickly (generally you'll find they'll stand 'wider' of the center than if you keep a striker forward and as such they'll have a bit more space to recieve the ball because defenders staying back will intentionally tend to stay central (which is sensible as it ensure they can block the route to goal).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote