View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #569
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought Dale's reaction to Glenn sleeping with Hershel's daughter wasn't out of the blue. He's an older guy and I think it was to show respect for their host. Just like Hershel's reaction to Maggie and Glenn was about him being a father. He wants these people gone as soon as possible and fully intends to get rid of them once they find Sophia and doesn't want his daughter to get hurt when they (including Glenn) get the boot.

I probably like the character stuff more than most, but I think there are currently two problmes. The first, as I mentioned above, is the farm. It's too safe, too secure, too many creature comforts. It really lessens the overall tension in the show.

The second is that we know the characters. Daryl's little adventure down the chasm was interesting because it gave us a little more insight to him. And, as much as I enjoyed the Rick/Shane conversation in the woods, it was mainly old ground. A lot of the character interactions have a sort of "been there, done that" feel to them. So there is a bit of the old spinning of the wheels from time to time. In fact, I think what makes Glenn and Darryl so interesting is that they tend to do a lot less of that than the other characters.

I've always believed that this show can't be "all zombies all of the time." That would just grow a bit tiresome. The zombies would either stop feeling like a threat or it would just be a bloodbath. That said, it can't be "all characters all of the time" either. We could use a little bit better balance.

Another potential solution to the tension issue is to add "other people" as a threat. Zombie Movie 101 clearly states that "other people" are a much bigger threat than the zombies themselves.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote