View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #588
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

My two "favorite" lines:

"Foxconn's raised workers pay twice at its factory in Shenzhen, China in 2010 after a spate of suicides, Chinese state media reported at the time."
It took a "spate" of suicides to increase pay.

"After the 2010 suicides at Foxconn, the company said it was taking measures to improve workers' lives, including organizing recreational activities, calling in Buddhist monks to offer spiritual consolation and setting up a 24-hour help line."
I just have this feeling that there was this management meeting: "well, we can only increase their pay a few bucks so how about some recreational activities. Anything to spend money while not actually handing it to the workers!"

It reminds me of a scene from the Simpsons (from SNPP):

Monty Burns pays a surprise visit to his favorite new employee, lavishing gifts upon her. Marge wonders why morale is so low, indicating several very disturbed employees.

I am the Angel of Death. The Time of Purification is at hand. -- ``Marge Gets a Job''

Marge suggests theme days, like ``Funny Hat Day'', and piping in Tom
Jones music. The same employees are just as disturbed as ever. The only difference is that they're wearing funny hats and listening to Tom Jones.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote