View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
...as much as Alzheimer's sucks, and is utterly terrifying to see in action, it is at least still fractionally better than advanced, severe Parkinson's disease, as far as I can tell, by the relative examples set by my GPs.

And unfortunately, this one hits me as well. My father in law, who owns the property where I manage the family winery, is about eight years into a Parkinson's diagnosis. He's thankfully still working and keeping busy, which helps with Parkinson's patients. But when he doesn't take his meds on time, he gets to be in pretty rough shape. He eats terribly and chain smokes, so I'd guess one of those two things will take him in some form before the Parkinson's does. At least that's what we hope because the alternative isn't a good one.

In addition, both diseases are partially genetic diseases. It's not a guarantee that a child will get it, but there's certainly a higher incidence in children. I'm hopeful that my wife and children don't have the same issues, but thankful that the meds and treatment of Parkinson's have improved quite a bit over the past 20-30 years to improve quality of life if it is needed.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote