View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #324
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I would argue that if Manning REALLY wanted to stay and retire a Colt, he'd voluntarily waive that $28 million bonus coming on March 1 and get a much better deal for the organization as they transition. He could still make millions to go with all his sponsorship money, but come down to some reasonable risk for the team given the neck injury. Sure, if Irsay wants to lowball you, yell and walk, but something more like an 8 or 9 million cap hit while you play another year or two and help coach up Luck.

If he still wants that $28 million bonus, then stop whining about how badly you want to retire a Colt.

The problem with this idea is that the PA won't let him waive it.

At this point, I'm pretty sure that Manning has accepted that he won't be playing for the Colts any more. The Colts aren't going to pick up the $28 million option and he will get cut. That is the best scenario for him unless he sticks with the team.

If he does become a FA, I see the Redskins getting him. That is just the way they work. If that happens, it won't work out very well and it will be a big mess. That is just the way it works with the Redskins when they sign high priced, elderly players.

BTW, the Colts won't give him the $28 million and then trade him because they would still have to eat a lot of money against the cap. I forget the number, but giving Manning the money and trading him is something in the neighborhood of a $35 million hit to the cap. There's no way they do that.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote