View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #128
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't see what Oswalt's doing as anything other than a very rich athlete who has different priorities at this point in his life. I don't see this as some game-changing decision that could alter the concept of FA forever. I think practically speaking, Shaq did this the last few years of his career - didn't he go from contender to contender (I can think of Miami, Boston, Phoenix, and Cleveland), playing 40-60 games a year, skipping practices, pacing himself for the playoffs, AND drawing a big salary? What's different?

I don't know... Oswalt seems to be doing exactly what Pedro Martinez did with the Phillies a couple of years ago. Sure, he probably has more career left than Pedro or Clemens did, but (a) he's been injured quite a lot the last few years, and (b) he has always come off as the type of guy who would be more likely to retire 2 years earlier than you'd expect rather than stick around a couple of years past his prime.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote