View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #184
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wonder then, why it's perfectly OK under for a drug test to be delayed as long as there's "unusual circumstances" causing a delay. Not saying your wife is wrong, I just don't understand that part (of many parts). I'm reading online that vacuum-sealed urine can be stored for 6 months, though that's for standard drug tests, not necessarily the MLB's more comprehensive ones. That's how you get it when you buy urine online to cheat drug tests. I'm assuming the tester would vacuum-seal it on the spot and mail it that way, rather than just keep it in a coffee cup at his house or something.

After I spoke with my wife, I went back and read the Joint Agreement. There's nothing in the JDA about vacuum sealing. There's nothing, incidentally, about freezing. The only guidelines are to keep it in a cool and secure place. Basically, you tape the cap on the bottles, mark them for chain of custody, stick it in a FedEx box and overnight it to the facility. The phrase "unusual circumstances" appears only once in the agreement; there is no indication of proper procedure in the event of "unusual circumstances". I would hazard a guess that the phrase was expected to be invoked on a frequency commensurate with "9/11" or "Katrina" than "Store's Closed".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I thought I read the guy in charge of the IOC Dope Testing say it didn't matter. I've read so much on it in the past week, I have no idea where I read that. Maybe Passan's article?

I'm sure the IOC rep said whatever makes the testing process appear more authoritative; that's his job. Given that a historically aberrant custody chain coincided with a historically aberrant result even among positive results, and that the first burden of proof is on the league to demonstrate why the sample should be considered valid despite the irregularities, that's a fairly high bar to cross unless you're stumping for the league.

Last edited by Shkspr : 02-26-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote