View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #250
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

OK, here's a HUGE pet peeve of mine about the misunderstanding of sabremetrics:

Quote:

"When you're sitting there and a guy brings up sabermetrics, they don't know nothing about that guy, and that may be the biggest thing," Manuel said. "Sometimes a guy will look at you and say, 'Why did you play that guy, he's 1 for 16 against that guy with seven punch-outs?' But when I've watched that guy, he might be 1 for 16, but nine of those at-bats the guy hit about three or four balls hard.

This is NOT an example of SABR influence on baseball. In fact, it's just the opposite. One of the basic tenets of analyzing stats is sample size. Most (nearly all) SABR-inclined guys will tell you it's nuts to pinch hit a .750 OPS player with a .600 OPS guy just because the former is 1-12 in his career against a particular pitcher and the latter is 3-7. They don't even know or understand what they are objecting to. They should hire Joe Morgan away from the Reds as a consultant.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-02-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote