View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Well, in their defense, etiquette probably says that it's up to the person being referred to to decide how they like to be addressed, not the people talking to them, no? I understand what you're saying, but I think it's within people's rights to decide how they would like people to address them. If you had taught your kids to call people by the first name (for some reason) and they said, "I would like you to call me Mr. Johnson" you would expect your kid to respect that, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I get what you are saying, but under the same idea, she obviously wants to be called Jane. Why not respect her wishes? Maybe your parental preference contradict hers?

I don't think your preferences are wrong. You can raise your children how ever you like, but times are changing. The world is a different place today.

Some things aren't worth getting bent out of shape over, IMO.

My thoughts as well. Jane might be thinking the same of you-- "Why is he telling her to call me Mrs. Johnson? Why won't he respect my wishes?"

I always remember my mother, when one of my friends called her Mrs. Rhythm said "That's my mother in law...call me Linda". Whatever her reasons were, that's what she wanted.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote