View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #243
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Yeah, there's a pretty distinct difference between encouraging big hits, and encouraging injuries. Even my high school team, we got stickers for big hits. That's football, that's part of what we love about it. That's hugely different than encouraging injuries, even if big hits and injuries are related.

To me, you want to hit the guys so hard they have a hard time getting back up. But then they do and go back in the huddle, knowing they just got clocked. If you're trying to send guys to the bench you're basically saying, "We're not good enough to beat your starters, so we'll try some other way of winning."

+1

Contact sports like football and hockey are supposed to be about tough competition, not ruthlessness. Ideally you want an opponent to finish the game knowing he played you; Some bruises and soreness, and maybe a bit of apprehension about crossing over the middle or going into the corners the next time you're out there. You shouldn't want him sitting on the bench in the 3rd quarter with a concussion or torn MCL.

Then again, Bobby Clarke has a much-ballyhooed Summit Series victory to show for sheer ruthlessness, so perhaps I'm just a pussy.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote