View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #44
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Heh. I said favorite "moments" but forgot to say the other one. The other one was in the same gym. Evidently virtually no black person from Talbotton--or at least no one who was in the gym this particular night--had ever seen a white kid dunk in person, in a game, in their gym, or something. I say this because that night, in a close game, a white kid playing for us threw one down there. It felt like the effin' ROOF was gonna come off that place. (Well, and as beat-up as the gym was there, it felt like a real possibility *any* time. )

But yeah...they....went..........BANANAS. And for an opposing player. High school kids, parents, old ladies, I mean EVERYONE. It was absolutely electric. I was there the weekend Chipper basically won the MVP award with homer after homer in a big series against the Mets. I've sat on the winning side at state championship football games. I've been in the Georgia Dome for a rare home Falcon playoff win. I've been in Sanford Stadium for some important Dawg wins. But I've never experienced in person a crowd going nutso like that night. I'm guessing if I'd been in the stadium the night Sid Came Home in '92, or when Lindsay Scott ran and ran and ran in '80, maybe those crowds' reactions would have topped it.

But just maybe.