View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #146
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
OK, I am totally baffled. I have been following a good amount of this diet from the FOK book, adding some soy meat replacements for protein and taking a protein powder supplement since January 1st.

Since the beginning of the year I have had chicken twice, fish once and a steak once for my birthday.

I asked my doctor to order a lipid profile because I was curious about the effects and at my last physical (August) my triglycerides were on the high end of normal. I do cardio 4-5 times a week, strength training 3-4 times and Jiu Jitsu twice, so I am pretty active for a 49 yr old.

So I get a message that all my blood work was good, except my LDL which was elevated. i have never had high LDL or total cholesterol and now that I am eating healthier than ever I have high LDL, WTF? Of course they didn't leave the number on the message so I have to call monday to make an appointment, which leads me to believe it is more than just borderline.

Kind of curious what the hell happened here.

FOK is based on pseudo-science.

If you're looking to lower your LDL, try eating salmon twice a week (or buy some fish oil capsules), oatmeal for breakfast a couple times a week, and snack on walnuts/almonds/peanuts. And if you haven't already done so, make sure your grains are always whole grain and you cook with olive oil. These are actual things that have been scientifically proven to work and will work. My Dad saw his drop from moderately high risk to just under the mark where they put you on drugs for it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote