View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #774
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I find this article on Wired a bit funny - mostly because I can accept that things have to be changed from the books to make the TV version - sure, things are not always done the way I would like, but that's how it has to be for this to get made. Anyway, I found complaint #3 particularly funny.

This Week on Game of Thrones: 6 Weak Tweaks and a Dark Surprise | Underwire | Wired.com

3) What’s with the name changes?

In this episode, Theon Greyjoy returns home to Pyke for the first time since he was a child. As Theon is the only son of Balon Greyjoy, would-be king of the Iron Islands, he expects to be treated with some obsequiousness for a change. But things don’t go according to plan. Not only does the first of his subjects that he meets look like the villain from I Know What You Did Last Summer, but the man is surly and apathetic in the face of Theon’s boasts. Things go from bad to worse as Theon realizes that his long tenure as hostage to the Starks of Winterfell has made him suspect in his father’s eyes, and that his father seems determined to assign command of the fleet to Theon’s sister, Yara.

Wait, say what? What the hell is a “Yara”?

How dumb do TV producers think we are?
Turns out the show has renamed Asha Greyjoy, and now she’s Yara Greyjoy. Apparently someone thought “Asha” sounded too much like “Osha,” the wildling woman held prisoner at Winterfell. Huh? How dumb do TV producers think we are? And how much overlap is there really between viewers who enjoy a show about byzantine political intrigue and viewers too brain-dead to distinguish two characters who look nothing alike?
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote