View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #2851
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And people obviously had a much lower standard of living then, we've gotten pretty fat and happy and entitled to stuff and shiny new things.

But I think there is a looming employment crisis. As some point we'll have to get past the idea that everybody has to have a job. That doesn't mean the end of capitalism, because the smaller number of people who do work meaningful jobs could still be much better off, and then there would still be great competition for those jobs, but at some point there will have to be greater social support system for those without jobs. (that's the general direction anyway, you'd much rather be unemployed now than during the 30s.)

Yes, I definitely get the feeling there's a "shift", slowly approaching how employment is going to work here. What exactly that may be, I'm not sure, but, it seems companies are happy not hiring people and their employees don't seem to mind taking on the extra burden without the extra pay.

I just have a hard time calling what's going on right now a depression. It may be 'depressing', but, comparing to what happened in the 30s and what is happening now, they seem to be very different other than job loss and even then the amount of job loss isn't even close to what it was back then.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote