View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #4962
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
VERY excited to see this, Bernie, and Safety Not Guaranteed.

Here's a teenager's view of Moonlight Kingdom.

Quote:
I’m no stranger to quirky films, but this is one of the strangest I’ve seen. It follows the summer story of two deeply in love twelve-year-olds. Both Suzy and Sam don’t excel at fitting in, but they are good at understanding each other. Both escape from mildly ridiculous, but very relatable settings to go on their two person adventure.

The colors and costumes of this movie were what made me want to go see it; they are stunning. However strong the premise of the film, I wish the adult characters had a more consistent depth.

They flipped between two-dimensional caricatures of adults and truly relatable people. Both Sam and Suzy were consistently developed and continually endearing. The camera work’s literalness was very interesting because it mimicked Suzy’s binoculars, but it created a first person tint to a third person omniscient movie that confused me at times.

It encapsulated the endlessness of summer and the drama of childhood. After all, isn’t summer full of limitless potential?

With the price of movie tickets being high, I wouldn’t pressure you to see it in theaters, but it’s worth a watch on a rainy August afternoon.

I tend to agree with the bolded parts of her review. But I absolutely thought it was so endearing that it's a must-watch if you're able to get it at a theater near you, especially if you don't have to watch it alone. Heh.

I watched it heavily with the lens of the kid's eyes, rather than focusing as much on the adults who were not as colored inside the lines as they needed to be. I thought the caricature of all of this was generally well done, though.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote