View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #100
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Question for those with the Lego Lord of the Rings sets: how playable are they?

I picked up Attack on Weathertop and was a bit disappointed. It's kindof small, it's not very playable, and really only worth it for the minifigs and that it only cost me $40 because of a BarnesandNoble.com sale (long story to that one, tho- it cost me a lot of time because they shipped it to my Indy address despite me putting in my new Houston address; So, ColtsCrazy, there's probably a Lego set sitting outside my old address for the past month if no one has picked it up ).

I'm looking to get all of the Fellowship minifigs but I'm not sure I want to shell out the rest of the cash to do it. You pretty much have to get Mines of Moria ($80) for Gimli, Legolas, Boromir, and Pippin. Frankly, I'm resisting here since I just don't think the set it worth it. Tho if someone has the set and can speak to it, maybe I'm being unduly harsh.

Gandalf comes in the cheapy $12 set so that's no big deal or some of the future Hobbit sets.

Then we get to Shelob Attacks. Peregrine did a nice little writeup above but I'm torn on it. Sure, it's "only" $20 but I'm probably already going to be sinking a lot of cash into this so is it worth that price? It's the only place to get Sam and Gollum.

I'm starting to think maybe the best way to get the most playable LotR fellowship is to go for Helm's Deep (Aragorn, Gimli), Shelob (Sam, Frodo), Gandalf Arrives (Gandalf, another Frodo), and suck it up on ebay for Legolas ($20), Pippin ($10), Merry ($10), and Boromir ($10). Heck, I dunno. They aren't making it easy this time out. If there were a Hobbit set with Sam, Pippin, Merry, and Frodo out there- it would uncomplicate matters. And some fighting scene with Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli. But that's likely not going to happen as Lego does a pretty good job of spacing out the sets so you can't get all the major characters on the cheap.

The closest I can come up with on that end was the Avengers set I described above:
30163 ($5): Thor (no helmet, tho)
6865 ($12): Captain America
6867 ($20): Loki, Hawkeye, Iron Man
5000022 (Free with purchase in May): Mini-Hulk (but it's only Mini-hulk)
Missing: Black Widow (only in 6869)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote