Thread: Board Games
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #739
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I went to the gaming night at my FLGS last night.
I got to play Eclipse. It was a 6 player game and 4 of us had never played it before.
Im not sure what I think of it yet. I dh idnt get a very good exploration. My tiles were pretty thin. It handicapped me, I think. No discovery tiles. No pirates or ancients.
I made an alliance with each person next to me. So i played the game with no conflict. Kind of getting the feel for it.
We had 2 younger guys playing and they were next to each other. They had an arms race and had a blood bath.
I finished tied for 4th. I got the monolith technology. That was a big help. One guy who had played several times took an alien race that wax a science race. He won. Having his tech trees filled helped a lot.

It is an interesting game. Worth $100? Dont know about that. I have to play it again. But I had fun.

But, one of the guys playing with us plays Twitlight Imperium. I got invited to play one Saturday. So when my schedule frees up, I am going to learn that game.
If you dont know Twilight Imperium, it is a heavier version of Eclipse.
Cost of both games is similar.

Just a heads up, TI3 is very much a love it or hate it game. I hate it and know a lot of people that hate it, but I know a good number of people that love it.

Eclipse has a larger fan base, but I think much of it is due to the fact it is a warish Euro. I personally abhor these designs (if I'm playing a war game, I'll play a war game, if I want a Euro, I'll play a Euro).
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote