View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #92
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Carter's first high school football game ended up being at my alma mater last night, as the Cougars demolished arch-rival Pacelli 48-14 in front of a standing-room only crowd. At 8:47pm, when most 3-year-olds are asleep or absolutely evil because they're not asleep, my baby girl was dancing at halftime:

Dropbox - 2012-10-05 20.47.12.mov - Simplify your life

Also, an interesting (at least to me) post mortem on a comment I made a while back, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Since the mid-80s, BHS has been unapologetic and aggressive about attempting to raid the public school system for its best black students and student-athlete types, and of course over time more black people of financial means have emerged who might just send their kids there anyway. Judging from the prom pictures of their kids and kids' friends that some friends have posted on FB, the school appears to have a significantly larger black population than it did when I was there. However, with tuition approaching $15K per year, I'm guessing that they're not getting the same black demographic that traditionally goes to CHS.
So, even in light of having said this and having seen the aforementioned prom pictures, I was still quite surprised yesterday morning when I took Carter by the school to purchase some spirit wear for her and at the game last night to see in person the number of black people associated with Brookstone now. When I got back to my brother's house (a long-time teacher in the public schools in Columbus,) I commented on it. He laughed and said, "Oh yeah. If you black and got a 3.5 in Middle School, you gettin' a letter from Brookstone! And if you are a doctor or lawyer or live in a neighborhood like this {he lives in an upper middle class neighborhood near Brookstone,} they campin' out in your front yard!" It's an odd dichotomy that I found there when I was in high school, and evidently still exists today. It's a very traditional, conservative, Southern, upper-class environment in virtually every way, but for whatever reason, they go above and beyond when it comes to race. I still chuckle at the fact that we were the first school to win the local televised Academic Bowl competition with a majority-black team, and one of the first to field a majority-black team.