View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #83
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Media Mail 101 - What the site says vs. reality

Here we go... I will comment on the reality of what the postal workers actually tell me in quotes.

What the website says about rules and restrictions on USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service)
  • The material sent must be educational media.
"Any book or prerecorded CD, DVD, VHS or Record is media."
It can only be prerecorded stuff. Not blank or recorded stuff. So ANY movie or record album counts. I guess you cannot prove that anything isn't able to be used for education considering there are college classes on all kinds of things.
  • It can’t contain advertising, video games, computer drives, or digital drives of any kind.
Advertising means no magazines really. However if you send one magazine, it might be low enough using first class.

Video games is pretty self explanatory. Granted if you are only sending one videogame, It might be cheap enough.

Tip: If you are selling old school computer games on amazon (that have books and flyers and tons of cardboard), throw all the shit away. Just advertise "No box" or "Game and manual" even if you are selling it new.
  • Media MailŪ can be examined by postal staff to determine if the right price has been paid. If the package is wrapped in a way that makes it impossible to examine, it will be charged the First-Class™ rate.
"Seal your media mail packages before you get to the window. You are holding up the line!"
This is hilarious. The first few times I did just what the site said. I had all my media mail packages open so the staff could inspect it and THEY YELLED AT ME FOR HOLDING UP THE LINE AND TOLD ME TO SEAL THEM ALL BEFORE I GOT THERE! hahahahahaha

So I basically seal the stuff and only about half the time, they ask me what it is. I answer "Book, CD, DVD, Video recording, or Record"
When you think about it, are they really going to go through a ton of packages every single day to look for one DVD or CD that is actually a video game? I doubt it. And they don't seem to care as long as you just say "It's a whatever". They just don't want you holding up the line with the website's bullshit.
  • Maximum weight is 70 lbs.
  • Maximum combined length and girth of 108". That means it can’t be larger than the combined measurement of the longest side and the distance around the thickest part.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 10-12-2012 at 11:34 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote