View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #67
kcchief19
Pro Starter

If this story gets very far out in the public, this sounds like an attractive legal case for someone looking to make a name for themselves and establish law in social media.

I don't see how you can suspend the kid. If schools are going to crack down on kids who run down their coaches and teachers for talking about them on social media, we're not going to have any kids in the classroom. If you're threatened by a kid saying that on Twitter, you need to toughen up or find a new line of work. Comes with the territory.

There's a huge difference between criticizing your boss on Twitter vs. criticizing a teacher on Twitter. First, it's the government vs. a private entity and First Amendment issues. Second, I work at the pleasure of my boss, but school is an obligation both ways. You can't fire someone from school.

Yes, I do think there are different rules between if the kid said this to the teacher at school vs. on Twitter. If the kid said this at the mall on Saturday with his friends and the coach overheard it, should the kid be suspended?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote