View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #615
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Our problem now is two fold. He throws a fit if we leave the room after putting him to bed, have to sit in there until he is either asleep or very close. Then he almost always gets up between 4-5 and comes and gets in our bed, which makes sleeping impossible.

I can relate to those issues having dealt with a similar thing with our youngest. What worked for me is I basically just decided to stop cold turkey at a convenient time (started on a Friday night when I knew we had no travel plans for a while and so it wouldn't disrupt sleeping schedule during the week). The first night there was a lot of screaming and only fell asleep after becoming exhausted (I may have had to put her back in the bed a couple times, I can't recall) and it was pretty awful. The next night wasn't so bad and it kept improving. Things have been great ever since (this was like a year ago).

As for the climbing into bed, I would just walk him back to his room after maybe a bathroom trip and a small sip of water. I also can't sleep with our youngest in the bed for what it's worth (hellacious kicker).

Good luck, hope you can break him of those habits before your daughter is born. I forgot how time consuming newborns were until I had one again.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote