Thread: Board Games
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 03:00 AM   #1190
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Dola

Any tips (Ping: H_B) on turning people on to Arkham Horror? I love the heck out of the game, but it's so gosh darned hard to get people into the game. A lot of confusion and a slow moving game at the beginning, and people are usually ready to give up before we get halfway through the game. Tonight we tried a 6 player variant. Three of us were familiar with the game, two had played it once before but it was a while back, and the last one was coming in cold. These are all pretty avid gamers (we play [and love] Eclipse regularly in this group), and by about the 5th turn it was clear that all three of the new people were no longer interested in the game. I'm familiar with the rules and am pretty good at explaining things, but it hits our table so infrequently that even I have to look back to the rules to clarify things occasionally.

When the game fell apart tonight, we opened up Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2nd Edition) to get a taste for the action. There are an awful lot of pieces for the game, but it seems to be fairly straightforward for what it is. We dove right in to the campaign's first mission to try learning the rules, and all of us ended up with a pretty decent grasp of things within the first half hour or so. Curious to see how the game works in campaign mode, with the characters leveling up as we go.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote