View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Schmeh tapped the numbers through his calculator for the third time that day, then threw it away with disgust.

Normally having $156 million spare under the salary cap would be a cause for jubilation. Fiscal freedom! Cash to throw around! But for the new general manager, this was playing on Schmeh's mind.

On the display of his iPad were two profiles. Wally Shelton and Scottie Booker. Both vital pieces of the Sharks puzzle. Both off contract. Both deserving of the Franchise Player designation. Both likely to leave if they didn't get what they thought they deserved.

He swiped open Shelton's profile.

All League 1st Team Tackle - 2052, 2055, 2056, 2057, 2058, 2059
All League 2nd Team Tackle - 2053, 2054
Championship Rings - 3

He did the same with Booker.

All League 1st Team Linebacker - 2054, 2055, 2059
Championship Rings - 2

For the ninth time that day Schmeh cursed his predecessor in the General Manager's seat, the weak-willed Bert Bumgarner - an original Sharks player way back in 2010, he was too easily pushed over by the player managers, who Schmeh despised, and accordingly always gave short contracts with very little wriggle room. Just a little bit of vision was needed! Extend our best players! Look after them! But no, Affable Bertie didn't have much vision beyond his next game of golf. No wonder the Lawsons eased him out.

This cursing wasn't going to solve Schmeh's issue.

He looked at the clock. Seven minutes to make a decision.

Shelton would be turning 34 this season, but was easily the best left tackle in the AFC South. He was a big reason why Wilkerson had stayed upright his whole short career.

Booker was the identity of the defense, but had a spate of shoulder injuries in the last three years. Although just 31, he couldn't be counted upon to last a whole punishing 16 game schedule.

It all came down to economics. Left tackles would be slugged $31 million with the franchise tag, while linebackers were just $15 million.

Just $15 million, Schmeh chuckled to himself. This economy has gone down the tubes.

He picked up the phone and rang the Commissioner himself with his decision.
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.

Last edited by Rawhide : 04-28-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote