View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #155
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

At some point, probably within the next two months, I'm going to want a greater understanding of more of the "science" around running. Right now, I'm running as frequently as I can (typically 5-6 days a week) because it's the most time-efficient way for me to burn calories that I see myself doing on a regular basis. (I hate hate hate hate the elliptical, fwiw.) I take Sundays completely off from any exercise, and the rest of the week, I've basically learned that I can do this...

IF I FEEL VERY RESTED: 35-50 minutes, avg heart rate 155-160
IF I FEEL SOMEWHAT RESTED: 35-60 minutes, avg. heart rate 150-155
IF I FEEL SOMEWHAT TIRED: 35-60 minutes, avg heart rate 140-150
IF I FEEL VERY TIRED: Don't run.
IF I FEEL OK BUT MY KNEES FEEL A LITTLE BEATEN UP: Go to gym, walk on inclined treadmill for 45-75 minutes. Heart rate 130-140

I see you guys talking about "tempo runs" and "recovery runs" and I don't know wtf any of that is. The above is working for me right now, but when I've lost another 15-20 pounds, I'm probably going to want to transition to a better plan for running, and probably less overall time spent doing it.

As far as specifics, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to run more than 6-8 miles in one session. Long-term, I see myself running 3-4 hours per week and lifting 3-4 hours per week. I have a good grasp of a lifting plan, but none whatsoever of running.