View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #275
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Are there online tools to build a running schedule that don't involve training for a race? Basically I'd like to enter in that my current best 10K time is 58:00, the most I've run is 8 miles, and the most I want to run is 8 miles, and have a tool build something out for me. I've found lots of "enter the race day and the distance of the race" type things...

You could perhaps use the Higdon Spring training plan found here: Hal Higdon Training Programs it primarily helps build a running base without the focus on a race. Since it is working on building the base though, there is very little speed exercises in it that would be focused more on improving your running speed. Your 10k time would naturally improve as your aerobic base improves though.

From what it sounds like though, I personally would suggest that you actually train for a race, even if you don't plan on running a race. Because of how fitness vs fatigue works, it is very unhealthy to continuously add more and more and more miles on end. Eventually the fatigue would overtake you. So it is important to have recovery time or down weeks in the plan and most race training schedules that are good have that factored in.

I think picking out a race training plan will be exactly what you want. It will give you plans to work on your aerobic base while also mixing in speed work such as tempo runs or intervals and give you a good time frame to do it in. I would personally say you should pick a date 12 weeks from now and set that as your "race date" and then work on the race plan for those 12 weeks. At the end, take a week of less running to recover and then you can do it again or pick a new goal or whatever you want. YOu don't have to actually run a race to benefit from the training program.

If you do go that way, the very first training plan I used was Runners world smartcoach found here: Rodale Central Authentication Service (CAS) Login You put in the date of the "race", put in a recent running time (such as your 58:00 for the 10k) and then put in how many miles a week and intensity of your workouts and it will put a plan together for you with the times you should run in those workouts.

I use some more complex training plans now myself and use Daniels spreadsheets for determining running place, I would be happy to share that info with folks interested too.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote