View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #383
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I'm weighing between getting a watch versus running the app on my phone. A couple of questions for those running this on the phone from someone who probably has not quite wrapped his head around exercising with a work phone:
1. I'm assuming that people strap the phone to their bicep? If so, how difficult is it to view the app during a run? Or potentially toggle screens for different info? In my mind, I guess I'm seeing the strap holding the phone in place blocking part of the screen and the buttons being more difficult to manipulate. Am I way off base?
2. Do the mobile apps integrate with the foot pod? A quick look at the Strava iPhone site seemed to suggest that it does not. I'm likely to do a decent amount of treadmill running in the winter, and would like to capture that data into Strava as well.

1) Yes, that is generally where most people wear their phone. (Some do choose to carry it in their hand, or others will slide it into a belt/fannypack/pocket) When I use an app on my phone, I don't even bother trying to look at it when I am running. Most of the better apps will tell you over your headphones while you listen to music basic milestones along the way or different intervals. often it is fairly configurable if you want it telling your distance/pace/etc every 5 minutes or 1/2 mile or whatever. So you don't necessarily have to look that way.

2) There are various ANT+ type footpods and even I believe a bluetooth footpod out now that can work with the iphone, but I do not personally know if strava supports any of them or not, or which apps do. I believe somewhere on his site DC Rainmaker has done a review of iphone supported ANT+ footpods (and heart rate monitors). I'll try to see if I can dig that up and edit it in here later. If you use a watch with a HRM/footpod or an app that supports them, you can later upload that data into Strava and it will support it (ie: my footpod information when I do a run on treadmills is picked up just fine by strava when I upload it from my watch). I'll try to find which iphone apps support ANT+ footpods natively for you.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote