View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #69
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
How are the raised gardens do for you, maintenance-wise? We're looking at buying a house in the next few months and it's something that's kindof on my radar when I'm looking at backyards but not all that much.

Growing up, my parents had a pretty big garden in the ground but I don't have the patience for that. And, as my dad said, Houston pretty much has the worst of everything except cold. You have brutal and long lasting heat and humidity, summer is a combination of torrential rains followed by multi-week droughts, and the wet times mean that fungus and bugs all proliferate well in our clay soil.

SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
The main raised bed- producing like crazy... I'm amazed at the progress with this one.

I have a yellow bell (still green) that is larger than a baseball, it's pretty great

This raised bed seems to be working very well, I put down news paper instead of that weed blocking stuff they sell. Seems to be working well, I'll pull a couple weeds every week- but nothing major, and I can do it while watering. If you are building from scratch I'd say go with that system, as opposed to the ones my blueberries are in- as they are full of weeds very often...and really a pain in the ass to deal with.

I water pretty much everyday as we get a lot of heat, and they get full sun as well. I've talked about it in here, and plan on doing some type of automated watering system at some point- just haven't gotten around to it.

I couldn't be happier with the raised bed. The ease of working in it at the height, weed-eating around it, the lack of weeds, and I think it looks better
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote