View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So when it's all said and done, I only have four guys from my original lineup who will be with us on Wednesday. Everyone else -- provided they show up -- will be a newcomer.

This could be an interesting situation for us, no doubt.

Well, that's wrong. Make that three. Cooper Bennett, who played 2B for us, actually got rescued by the Red Wings over in the Saturday league too. Jim Carson, our old 1B who is now their #3 hitter told them he had a friend who played decent 2B and so, while they didn't really need him, they took him on anyway for depth.

So that's just three guys who get to keep around.

Sigh.

It's Wednesday afternoon and I get a text from Skip who runs the Wednesday night league for the city.

"I don't know how you managed to do it, but you did it. See you guys tonight."

Somehow, we got a full team again. This team resembles nothing like our old team and haven't the foggiest idea of who will play where.

But nonetheless, we have a team and we will play tonight and presumably for the rest of the year.

GAME 5/6: VS. MARSHALS
Should I even introduce you to these guys? What if they all leave again.

All I know about Cricket is that he's Jamaican, grew up playing Cricket -- hence the nickname -- and came to the states for college where somehow he fell in love with a woman who loved baseball and turned him onto it. And the rest as they say is history. He tells me he's a pitcher. I tell him out of respect for his help putting this rag-tag team together by some miracle, that I'm giving him the ball in the first game.

He says "okay, if you're sure about that. I'm happy waving a towel if that's what you need. There are some good guys here."

I was skeptical.

Just to add insult to injury, over on Field #6, the Ducks swept the Destroyers to go 6-0 and remain undefeated. Will anyone beat these guys this year?!

Anyway, we had more pressing work to do. Road team against the Marshals riding a three-game losing streak.

Our lineup:

Code:
SS Jonah 2B Kenny LF Noah RF Lloyd 1B Micah CF Mike 3B Junior C Tom P Lester (Cricket)

Our new catcher is a 43-year old dude. That just lets you know where stuff is right now.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote