View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #609
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
One of the ultra-marathoners that I read a blog from regularly comments that one of the biggest mistakes often made by long distance runners is that they work on hill work going up, but not going down. Running down a hill uses completely different muscles, and if yours aren't used to it, you could trash them pretty nicely in a race or speed run.

With hills, what I try to do is:

Ensure my step size is small (increased cadence). This is both up and down the hill. Going up a hill, a smaller foot step becomes more efficient when your body is doing its most work. I have learned to just motor my legs up the hill and they don't bother me too much now. Going down a hill, taking smaller steps help retain form and prevent things like hill striking or landing super hard on the pavement. Taking a shorter stride down the hill allows you to land smaller, keeps your center of balance better and gives you more control on loose surfaces or rough surfaces.

For a while when I first started hills, my calves and quads burned nicely, they really felt it for days after, but as you get used to doing them, they toughen up and you won't notice them as much in the future.

good points, thanks for the input!

FM