View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #31
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
You can hook an iPad directly up to a tv through HDMI or stream to an Apple TV through AirPlay. The NFL probably views the direct tv deal as a cap on potential revenue with its tiny subscription base. I'll bet Google or even Apple or MSFT pays a lot more for the rights.

The NFL's major Sunday afternoon TV partners, Fox and CBS, have expressed discomfort with Sunday Ticket becoming widely available. Their fear is that if people have lots of games from which to choose, then they will flip over to those games during beer commercials, driving down the price they can charge for those spots.

I think that there is also something in that mix about it being more valuable for people to be watching the local affiliates and commercials than the national affiliates, but JonInMidGA or someone who understands that better can confirm or deny that.

Basically, I can see a world where Sunday Ticket is no longer exclusive to DirecTV, but I think that it is not as simple as selling those rights to the highest bidder. The big dogs (i.e. the Sunday afternoon broadcast partners) will have to be happy with any arrangement.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote