View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #4163
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Where would Syracuse draw the line for a basketball crowd at the dome? Are there a number of sections they will always block off for basketball, or could 50,000 people conceivably watch a game assuming they were willing to put up with the distance from the court?

The strategy has been to break the previous attendance record by a few hundred ever few years. I'm sure they can squeeze in about another 1,000 from the current record if they wanted to, but those last tickets sold have almost no sight lines. You are just there for the experience.

There was a ton of talk about moving the court to the center of the dome and opening it all up for this year's Duke game and selling 50,000 tickets. It met a lot of resistance because season tickets have already been sold and I don't think they have a plan for keeping everyone happy with a reconfigured dome. I don't think they want to bait and switch the season ticket holders. I wish they could figure out how to make it happen for this game, but I doubt it.

It is only a matter of time before it happens though. Boeheim's last game would be ideal, but I think he will quietly retire in the offseason and never give them a chance to set that up.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote