View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #813
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
At this point, this should come as a shock to no one, but it's worth noting that I'm fairly sure that incline treadmill work is going to be in the mix at least once a week for me long-term, at least until I get to the point where I have to run to elevate my heart rate enough to make it worth it.

Today's workout was fantastic. Watched much of the classic 80s movie "War Games" while I did 75 minutes mostly in the 155-160 heart rate range. Started out at 4.2mph/15% incline to get up into the 150s. Once there (in about 2 minutes,) I lowered the speed to 3.6mph. Dropped it by .1 mph every 5ish minutes to stay in the 155-160 range, then with 10 minutes to go started bringing the speed up. Ended workout at 4.4mph with heart rate at 178. (I think my max is 185.) Average heart rate for workout was 159. Feeling very encouraged.

Workout Profile | 75-Min Incline Treadmill. GoalHR=155-160. Actual HRAvg=159. | Times and Records | Strava
polarpersonaltrainer.com

Hill workouts are an important part of many of the people's run training plans that I read and follow. In cases where there is very little elevation such as where you live, I've seen some of them will do incline workouts on the treadmill like you have been but with running instead of walking.

I know plenty of the people who train for ultra marathons that have a large amount of elevation climb but they live in the city do these type of incline treadmill runs all of the time.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote