View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #201
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The sites I looked at today stated each player will get about $200.00 Unlike jerseys or other types of school related flair, every player in the NCAA game gets a cut. How are you going to differentiate between who bought the game because of wanting to play with Johnny Manziel vs. the guy who bought the game because his son was the third TE on North Texas?

While these games are goldmines, they aren't enough of it to make every DI player get thousands of dollars a year off of them. So these guys killed a game that I can assure you many of their peers played while at school and still play to this day because they wanted their little cut.

They have the right to do it. Good for them. I truly mean that. If getting $200 - taxes is a win for them, they got it. They didn't change anything. The players are not going to get money anytime soon. For starters, every school doesn't have money to give. Beyond that, the schools are not giving up their cut. They simply aren't.

Everyone is comparing this to Curt Flood. . . sorry, that's wrong. This will not change anything other than NCAA football not being produced and maybe players names not being printed on the back of jerseys at the team store.

If that's what they were going for, they got the W. Congrats to Ed on his $200.00 check. Yippee.

Might come as a shock, but people don't work for free for your personal enjoyment. They should be compensated (even if it's a small amount) for their likeness being used which obviously adds to the game. Just as anyone should be compensated for their likeness being used in a game, movie, TV, ad, or whatever.

As for who gets the money, that'll be up to negotiations. My guess is most college athletes would sign on to a licensing group that would decide how the money is doled out in advance. Maybe it's $200 per player, maybe it's dependent on other factors. And of course players like Johnny Manziel can negotiate his own deal if he feels like it.

This isn't some new territory. Professional sports have done this in licensing for decades. The NCAA can do the same thing, there is enough money at play. Still don't know why people are so jealous of these kids earning their market value.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote