View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Nothing has really picked up the ball in the last couple of years and run with it as far as zombie fiction goes. You've got WWZ, Walking Dead, Jon Maberry, and David Moody as "established" serious zombie fiction, plus the Day by Day Armageddon stuff and David Wellington, who are a little off the radar, but have a certain cachet.

Then you've got the parody stuff, which is...pretty much everything else.

The bigger issue is that you had all of this a few years ago, too. In the last year or two, there's not a lot of good stuff. Rhiannon Frater's "As the World Dies" trilogy just seems a little...low stakes, maybe? I just never felt any dread reading it. Anyway, the last couple of years zombiewise seem to have been more about the gravy train of merchanising rather than exploring the subgenre. At least that's what it says on the bottom of my "Zombies Do It Deader" pint glass.

I haven't read it yet, but Joe R. Lansdale's "Deadman's Road" might be worth checking out. Lansdale's got solid work in both the Western genre and horror genre, and his work on Jonah Hex melded the two beautifully.

Last edited by Shkspr : 09-28-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote