View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

World Cup

The 2014 World Cup featured some outstanding play by favorites, some surprise upsets and Cinderella-teams, and the surprise of Lucas Moura outshining Neymar. The goal of the tournament was scored by the USA's own Landon Donovan, and the eventual finalists pitched a virtual shutout of the World Cup "Dream Team" Top 11, with only Ukraine's Eugene Seleznyov breaking the stranglehold of the starter's roles. 78,838 attended England's game against Brazil, and Ivory Coast romped to the tournament's biggest win, a 6-0 shellacking of Norway, with Wilfred Bony potting 4 goals, equaling Fernando Llorente of Spain for the most prolific single game performance.

Group Stage

Group A (England, Brazil, Morocco, South Korea)
Brazil had a disappointing tournament beginning, coming in second in their group behind a rampant England (9pts, 0 goals allowed), finishing with just 4 points, 1 ahead of lowly Morocco.

Group B (Portugal, France, Japan, Peru)
Portugal and France finished joint-top with 5 points, 1 ahead of Japan in this tight group. Portugal claimed the top spot by virtue of goal differential.

Group C (Ivory Coast, USA, Norway, Argentina)
Improbably, Ivory Coast topped the group with 7 points and no goals allowed. The USA finished 1-1-1 for 4 points, good enough for second place ahead of Norway on goal differential (0 vs. -5). Argentina stumbled badly, going 0-1-2 for just a single point.

Group D (Iran, Ukraine, Uruguay, Nigeria)
Iran top the group! 6 points, 2 ahead of Ukraine, who edge out Uruguay on goal differential.

Group E (Italy, Tunisia, Belgium, Australia)
Italy secure top spot with 7 points, ahead of Tunisia. Belgium miss out by a point.

Group F (Germany, Slovenia, Honduras, Paraguay)
Germany and Slovenia finish joint-top with 5 points, with Germany claiming the top spot on a coin-flip based on their equal goal differential and 0-0 draw with Slovenia.

Group G (Spain, Mexico, Greece, Ecuador)
Spain advance on 7 points, with Mexico close behind on 6.

Group H (Holland, Algeria, Serbia, Canada)
Holland put in a dominant group stage, taking 9 points and giving up 0 goals, much like England. Algeria secure second place on 6 points. Canada win the booby prize as the only team with 0 points, and a -7 goal differential (although to look on the bright side they scored 2).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-28-2013 at 10:49 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote