View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1913 Off-Season: Arbitration

Five players, only one obvious non-tender, and two non-tender candidates. MR Charles Churchis is actually not terrible. He has decent ratings and would not be the worst 7th man in the bullpen in the league, by a long-shot. He also put up decent numbers in an 11-game rehab stint this year in AAA. But coming off a $2m contract, and dealing with an injured ulnar nerve that could push into next season, it's a no-brainer to non-tender him.

2B Julio Nunez is the first of two guys I need to dig into a bit. He's a solid defender, let's start there. He played 144 of 146 games at 2B, finishing with a UZR of +6.5 and only 8 errors. But his bat...yea, his bat is letting us down. He doesn't strike out a ton but the guy just doesn't walk at all, and with a .246 average, his 38 walks over 144 games is pretty bad. 17 2B and 10 HR don't make up for it much either.

He also is expected to pull in $6.5m. While I need a stop-gap at 2B while we wait for 1912's 1st overall pick Adrian Black, I can probably get a defense-first 2B for a year for much cheaper in free agency, through our minors, or through a trade if need be. He'll be non-tendered and will become a free agent.

Then, we have LF Archie Diemer, a power-hitting (7) right-fielder with solid defensive skills. He looks like he could be a decent 4th or 5th outfielder, a power bat off the bench, etc. However, he only hit 3 HR in 61 games and struck out 57 times while walking just 8 times. His triple-slash line of .223/.272/.351 doesn't do much to inspire me, even though he'd only cost $900k. We have a solid right-field prospect in 22-year-old RF John Harrington, who I'll talk more about soon.

So with that, Nunez, Diemer, and Churchis are let go, and we'll tender contracts to LF Brent Taylor and 3B Kirby Meisner.

Next up, free agents.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 11-01-2013 at 02:05 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote