View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #220
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Seattle is a tough team to figure out. Trying to be objective (I'm a 49er fan, I hate them and think they're overrated), you look at what they've done this season:

Pros:
-11-1, with an effective 3 game lead for home field advantage in the playoffs.
-6-0 at home
-2nd in the NFL with 340 points scored
-2nd in the NFL with 186 points allowed

Cons:
-Barely beat Houston in OT (23-20)
-Barely beat Tennessee at home (20-13)
-Barely beat St. Louis (14-9)
-Had to stage an incredible comeback to beat Tampa Bay at home (27-24)

The important thing is they're winning those games...but how in the world can you explain the Tampa game? Or their inability to put away teams like St. Louis and Tennessee? Three of those wins are purely luck, and against vastly inferior competition.

The answer is that there simply is not that much difference between the best teams in the league and the bad teams these days. You don't have a Montana led 49ers team that likely was going to blow out everyone each week in the league. These days with the salary cap and attrition due to injuries, even the best teams in the league are mortal any given sunday.

The Patriots had to come from behind to beat the Texans. The Broncos looked pretty bad for at least one half vs the Jaguars. The Colts lost to the Rams and Cards , and lost bad. The Saints lost to the Jets, etc..

I think the teams that win the super bowl these days are simply the ones that get hot at the right time, do not suffer some key or critical injury during the postseason and then probably after all of that talent/coaching is the final deciding factor.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote